Sunday, August 2, 2015

Ugly Chairs…

Recently, we decided to start going through all the furniture in our garage. We had been keeping nice pieces for "when we move to a bigger house". HA! Since it has been so long and we are still in our cozy first home, we figured we should part with the stuff that is crowding our limited space. 

I thought, "Goodness, I would get more for this furniture if I fix them up and paint them!". Lovely idea that has morphed into a little side business. 

I am fixing up the furniture we already had (and have sold some), but I have scored a few great deals and added to my list to redo! I have decided to try my hand at selling my projects and restored furniture at a flea market booth.

I am a little scared, but mostly excited to see how it goes! After all I love creating and refurbishing!
I started a little Facebook page to sell my pieces. You can find what I have available here at Sweet Things Furniture and Decor!   

These two chairs came from a local Facebook yard sale page. I got both of these for $12! 
A GREAT deal!!   

These chairs were disgusting! I took them apart and threw away the cushion and board. They had lived all the life they could.


I gave them a light sanding and good wipe down to get all the gunk off of them. 
Then I painted them with two coats of Americana chalky finish paint in Vintage. I bought this one at Home Depot, but found Hobby Lobby sells the same brand. At Hobby Lobby you can use the 40% off coupon on it and makes its much cheaper! 



This was after the first coat…




It was super sunny when I was working on these.



Once the second coat was done, I distressed them for a bit of character. Then applied a clear wax also from Americana.




Next, I needed to cut new plywood to make the seat. I traced the base of the chair onto a foam board I had laying around.



"World's Best Mom" sticker just happened to be stuck to the board! I didn't notice till I was looking back at the photos! Haha



You know how hard it is to figure out what fabric you want to look at on your own furniture? I didn't realize how challenging it would be to pick out a print I thought would appeal to others. I guess I am new to this selling stuff, so I am still learning. 

I picked the fun fabric on the left. I loved the modern feel and the grey and off white color.


However, I did LOVE the Paris print as well and WILL find a project to use it! ;)

Once I got the plywood cut to size I started to shape the foam pieces for the cushion.
I bought the foam at Walmart in a 4 pack for around $7. I only used 2 1/2 pieces. 



Because these chairs were wider then the foam, I cut pieces and hot glued them together.  



I first tried the utility knife, but switched to regular scissors. The scissors had a much cleaner cut and I had more control.





Then I wrapped them in cotton batting around the plywood.





I didn't get pictures of the upholstery part. I was battling my silly staple gun and had to enlist the help of my hubby to get it done. Let's just say, upholstery isn't my favorite. ;)

The finished chairs!
From ugly, to beautiful!





Always LOVE the before and after comparison! 



I am pleased with the results and hope whoever ends up with these beautiful chairs loves them as much as I do!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...